Thursday, November 8, 2007

Day 56: El Paso, TX to Demming, NM

Tues 10/23/2007
40.51 mi,
1,528 mi total
1,147 ft cum
37,357 ft total
3:46 hrs ride time
low 60's to mid 70's F and Sunny

Today's ride actually ended about 10 miles south of Las Cruces. My uncle and his wife are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary by taking a trip to Arizona with a trailer in tow. It turns out, I was not too far out of their way and they were willing to give me a lift to Tucson where I plan to visit a friend. We stopped for the night in Deming. My uncle and his wife set up their trailer in an RV park while I stayed at a nearby hotel. After settling in, my uncle came back by and took me out for a hot meal at his favorite Mexican restaurant. I was really glad to be staying in a hotel again, the last few nights have been pretty chilly.

After dinner, I scanned the news for an update on the San Diego fires. More than 800,000 acres burnt and 900,000 people had been evacuated. I'm now pretty certain I will not be riding to San Diego. It's looking more and more like Tucson will be my final destination.










No comments: